Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Coconut-Cinnamon Roasted Acorn Squash

I have a confession to make.

I've been cheating on butternut squash and sweet potatoes with...acorn squash.

Lets get real. I love all my beta-carotenes. Especially when roasted in the oven with a healthy serving of real buttah and a few dashes of cinnamon.

So, last Sunday morning I was perusing the Farmers Market and a favorite farmer of mine had a beautiful assortment of squashes. I fought the urge to buy a butternut squash and instead bought 2 acorn squashes. Best. Decision. Ever.


I cooked the acorn squashes for Sunday night dinner. A certain special Midwestern-meat and potatoes lovin'-young-man looked at me and said "How do I eat this?" I replied "Scoop it out with a spoon!" I waited.

"This is really good."

Not to mention, here are some of the health benefits of the ingredients in the recipe:

Cinnamon: a warming, healing spice, which can help to normalize blood sugar.

Butter: use the real butter; so many benefits. To name a few, it contains Vitamin A, D, E, K and helps fat-soluble vitamins be absorbed by the body.


Coconut sugar: sweet, with a caramely flavor. Coconut sugar isn't highly processed and is considered to be a low-glycemic index level food, and is safer for diabetics than brown or white sugar. Oh, and it contains magnesium, iron, zinc, and potassium.


Another recipe that will warm your soul. Because that's just how I roll. 

Coconut-Cinnamon Roasted Acorn Squash

2 acorn squashes, cut in half, with seeds scooped out
2 tablespoons butter (I used Kerrygold grass fed butter)
2 tablespoons coconut sugar (brown sugar can be used too)
A few drizzles of real maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the acorn squash in half like so (see picture below) and scoop out all the seeds. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.

2. Place a few small slices of butter on each squash. Next, sprinkle the sugar evenly across all. Drizzle maple syrup (not too much). Finally, sprinkle with cinnamon generously.


3. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to an hour, or until the squash can be easily pierced with a fork. Every 15 minutes, take the squash out and brush the liquid mixture that will form in each squash all over the squash. Make sure to let cool before sprinkling with sea salt and digging in with a spoon.




4 comments:

  1. Yum! I love acorn squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love acorn squash! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why, but I always make my squash savoury! You've reminded me how much I love sweet squash...I should definitely try this!!

    ReplyDelete