Friday, March 22, 2013

An update.

Hi.

I've been meaning to write on here for a while now. And in all honesty, I've just felt as though time has escaped me over the past few months. I actually didn't think anyone would notice, but then of course, my Mother informed me that some of her cooking students were asking about my blog. Figures.

You know you better get on it when your Mother, who still uses aol dial-up Internet, is asking about your blog. And yes, aol-dial up still exists.

I'd like to share something that has been a huge part of my life lately, which I've kept fairly private. Last September, I started school. Again. I am currently enrolled in a year and a half program at Bauman College in Berkeley to become a Certified Holistic Nutrition Consultant. The curriculum is heavily based around taking a whole foods and wholistic approach to nutrition.

A love for food is in my blood, people. I grew up on a few acres in which my Dad transformed into an amazing fruit and vegetable orchard. We'd pick blackberries and make fresh pies on Sunday mornings, Laura Ingalls-Wilder style. And my Mom. Well, she instilled a love for cooking and baking from scratch in me from the moment she refused to buy me an Easy-Bake Oven.

But about 3 years ago, I met an inspiring woman named Lisa. She is a Registered Dietitian with an MS, a Holistic Nutritionist, an Herbalist, and a general health-wonder woman. Upon my first consultation with her, I was completely addicted to learning about all things nutrition-related. After obsessively telling all my close friends how amazing my time with Lisa was and inundating Lisa with nutrition/health questions constantly via email, she told me "you should probably enroll in a nutrition program as you are clearly passionate about this."

Two years later, I finally bit the bullet. And here I am. Nearly 6 months into my Holistic Nutrition program. I've struggled for the past few years with finding my way, career-wise. I put so much pressure on myself to find that perfect balance of passion and financial stability, and the classic work-life balance. I have not found it yet and continue to struggle.  I don't love my day job. But I will say this. The moment I walk into my classroom on Wednesday nights, I feel relieved, excited, and like I am home. When I am stressed professionally or personally, I think about school. And how much I love it. And then I think about how one day, maybe I'll be able to help someone make a really small change in their diet that will end up making a huge change in their life.

The thought of this ability to do so makes me giddy.

Work, family, and friends; it is hard to find balance among all these while enrolled in school. However, I feel that what I am learning in school is so valuable and I can't wait to share it.  I plan to pop in on my blog from time to time and share both recipes and my growing nutrition knowledge. I hope this sounds good to you.

And also, I would just like you all to know that as I write this I am eating a delicious gluten-free triple chocolate brownie. Just because I'm studying to become a Holistic Nutritionist doesn't mean I have perfect eating habits. It's definitely a journey.

I can't help that I keep it real.


I just hope that one day, I can sit down with you, and maybe teach you just one thing that improves your health long-term. Thanks for your support.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I can't wait for you to counsel me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apart from thеѕe buѕiness benеfits, Іntranet
    alѕo pгomoteѕ equal coгporatе culture in informаtiоn ѵіеwing.
    If yοu're a gang leader, you will not understand all of those. The idea is to wait at least 10 blog comments, emails or social media shout outs a day. Risk surveys are a highly cost-effective way to promote family unity and trust in the longer-term goals of the owner" s beneficiaries.

    Also visit my web-site :: what is internet marketing

    ReplyDelete